Pregnancy Health Center
baby graphic


Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection video

Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection video

Therapies And Treatments For Infertility

Some couples have trouble getting pregnant. If you’ve been having intercourse on a regular basis for more than a year and haven’t conceived, you should see your health care provider for an evaluation. About 85 percent of couples get pregnant after trying for 1 year, and the remaining 15 percent are considered infertile. Many of these couples will go on to get pregnant without help, but some will need medications or other treatments in order to have a baby.

For a couple to conceive, they need a healthy egg, healthy sperm, and place for sperm and egg to meet. That meeting place requires healthy fallopian tubes and a normal uterus where the fertilized egg can set up a home for the next 9 months. Treatments for infertility depend on where in process the couple is having problems.

If a woman has irregular periods with hormonal imbalances or deficiencies, the solution might be drug therapy. Other couples may have problems that may be corrected by surgical procedures.

The term used to cover all types of treatment to help with female or male infertility is "assisted reproductive technology" (ART). Current types of ART include:

In many of these procedures, women take medication to increase the number of eggs they will mature and release during a cycle. This is called an "ovulation induction protocol." Advances in these drugs have improved the success rates for many of these procedures.

Receiving therapy and treatment for infertility can be a trying time for a couple. Once you have reached a decision to seek treatment, it is very important to investigate various programs to make sure you choose a program that will be best for you as a couple.

Where To Go To Receive Treatment

Choosing the right place for infertility treatment is very important. According to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, there are certain points that need to be considered when making that choice:


Review Date: 12/9/2012
Reviewed By: Irina Burd, MD, PhD, Maternal Fetal Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
adam.com